Jumpsuit c/o Baukjen, Walter Baker leather jacket, J.Crew heels, bag c/o One Fated Knight, sunnies c/o Sole Society
I am officially only a few days away from turning another year older, which has had me thinking a lot about the year that’s passed and everything that’s happened. A few days after my birthday last year, I quit my job, started working for myself and took that Europe trip I’ve always dreamt of taking. Needless to say, 27 has been a packed and incredible year, but as interesting years tend to go, it was also one filled with a lot of lessons. I was surprised to discover that so many beliefs that I thought benefited me were actually working against my pursuit of living as joyful a life as possible, and I found I had a lot of letting go to do in order to open up to bigger and better things. So to celebrate each of the years that have gotten me here, I’m so excited to team up with the #BreakUpAndMove movement to share 27 things I’m letting go of as I step into 28! Click through to read it all!
So in no particular order, the 27 things I’m breaking up with in life so that I can make room for the new in 28 are:
1. My original idea of success (which I’ve realized this year means more than just doing well professionally [though that’s important to me too] and also means travelling well, a balanced life and incredible health).
2. Procrastinating so much – either pay someone to do the things I hate, set a timer and do them myself or just not do it, move on and suck up any consequences there are.
3. More of my belongings – time to sell and donate!
4. Vancouver…or at least I want us to take a break for at least a few months! I love this city but it’s time for a change.
5. My night owl routines.
6. My stupid couch that I hate (a prime example of you get what you pay for as it falls apart on us now).
7. My Netflix addiction. For 28, I’m limiting to 1-2 episodes per night – no more marathons!
8. Pushing so hard to get a new dog. I keep coming up against reasons that it’s not the right time but because I miss having a dog so much, keep fighting against all the signs that I need to wait until the time is right.
9. I’ve started limiting them, but really officially letting go of my food allergies (dairy’s a particularly hard one to let go of and I haven’t been much good at it).
10. My sweet tooth. Cutting dessert is one thing I have not been able to do but it’s the one thing that inflames my system the most.
11. My stinginess about treating myself, something you might not expect from a blogger! I never treat myself to a mani, a massage, etc – I don’t need to always “earn” it, sometimes I can just do it.
12. My caffeine addiction – well, at least I need to tone it down a bit! There’s no need to have 4 coffees in a day, that is just weird/constitutes full-blown addiction levels. Time to cut to 1/day.
13. My weird notion that I should have things figured out by now just because my parents were such together people at my age (with impressive educations, careers and a family already). I’m where I’m supposed to be!
14. My iPhone, for at least a few hours per day. I’ve gotten better at staying away from it in the morning, but I really want to take longer breaks from it during the day.
15. Those last few grudges, resentments, etc. I don’t forgive easily so anyone who I feel has burnt me or done me wrong usually stays in my bad books for awhile, which is an awful thing. I want to let go and remember that people change, often even over the course of weeks.
16. Expectations. Any time in the past year that things haven’t gone the way I wanted them to, it’s because I wanted things to go a certain way. Officially time to be grateful for everything but not expect anything.
17. And speaking of the future, I also want to let go of the past. As I already mentioned, I don’t let go easily. Trying to live in the now is my biggest goal for my 28th year.
18. Cleaning! I hate cleaning. I hate tidying. And yet, I hate living in mess and clutter—the one small luxury I’m definitely going to allow myself (see 11.) is a professional clean.
19. Taking a hold on my health and really eliminating anything I don’t need. I hate taking medicine, and with good reason – my body tends to react more strongly than others (I’ll be fully high on one NeoCitran, it’s quite a sight). I’m cutting out the last medication I’ve been on for my digestive issues and for my own personal reasons, decided to go off the pill and look into other options. It’s totally a personal decision for each person but for me, this has been a real way to take control over my health and what I put into my body.
20. A need to be busy. Busy doesn’t mean more productive, and it definitely doesn’t mean happier!
21. And on that note, saying yes to too much. I’d rather do less and do it well than to take on everything I can.
22. Stressing about things I can’t control, whether it’s someone’s thoughts about me or being a passenger in an airplane.
23. Guilt! We all mess up. In my 27th year (and in the years before) I’ve definitely done my fair share of messing up. Guilt is completely useless though and especially since it’s all rather trivial things, definitely time to just move on.
24. Dressing to cover up my body all the time. Might not seem like it, but I wear a really restrictive minimizing bra almost every day of my life to strap down my 30F’s. I hate it but it’s the only way I can wear most of my favourite tops and dresses. Yes, my style is more tomboy than femme fatale, but at least for nights out, I want to celebrate my unique shape more rather than always trying to dress around it.
25. Waiting for the right time. Whether it’s that trip I wanted to take, that class I wanted to attend, etc, more often than not, after the fact I’m not thinking I did it too early but that I should’ve done it years before.
26. Letting go of the leggings when I’m working at home. Yup…I’m all for being comfy, but I am so much more productive and just plain happy when I like how I look, even if no one other than my mail guys see me.
27. Disorganized Mondays. It sets a total tone for the rest of the week! I’ve been developing a Sunday night tradition of getting my Mondays set and it’s made such a difference.
What have you guys cut loose of in the last year, or are there things you’re looking to eliminate before you take the leap into your next year of life? Tell me in the comments!