Paint it Black

April 26, 2013

H&M dress, Rebecca Minkoff bag, Coach studs, Sam Edelman wedges,
ring c/o Pandora, Persol sunglasses c/o SmartBuyGlasses Canada

Remember how I mentioned recently that I have this odd, specific-to-my-wardrobe phenomenon in which any slight inkling for a particular style or piece snowballs into a full-on obsession? For awhile now, I’ve been acutely aware of how few basics I have in my closet. I’m lucky that my job is more about being fashion-forward and comfortable than “office-friendly,” but I still definitely feel the need to wear more basic yet elegant classics now more than ever.

Since realizing this a month or so ago, I’ve been on a rampage…now I have a complete overabundance of basics. It’s getting ridiculous actually.

Anyway, I bought this dress with the intention of making it a good every day office piece but it’s way too short (I usually don’t bother trying on in-store, bad habit). It will, however, be the perfect dress for weekending all summer! It also fills the void in my closet for black pieces – seriously need to get on the “black goes with everything” train at some point or another because I’m seriously concerned that I’m a freak of nature. Isn’t it weird that it feels unnatural when I wear it?

Anyway, I hope you all have the most amazing weekend! I’m going to my friend Nashlyn’s album release party tonight – excited! Her band’s Emberfield, check them out!

• Reply Naomi April 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Love your dress! I was just thinking I need more basis in my closet too!

The Occasional Indulgence

• Reply Christina Heflin April 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm

That dress is gorgeous, love it with the RM bag! I know how you feel about black, I used to work in a store with an all black wardrobe, since then I never feel like wearing black ever. Please check out my Friday Link Up and enter one of your posts for next week!

systyle.blogspot.com/2013/04/friday-link-up_26.html

• Reply janeysoutfits April 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm

I love the dress – that detailing around the neck is so fun and definitely perfect for summer weekends. I love the addition of the tan sling bag – makes it look almost so fashionably hippie-ish.

Janey

• Reply Melanie Liliana April 26, 2013 at 3:26 pm

super cute dress! I totally know how you feel, I hardly have any basics either! I also need to start wearing dresses more often! my goal! haha x

iambornlippy.blogspot.ca

• Reply JennaStevie April 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm

This is the perfect casual summer dress for sure, I love the detailing along the neckline and black really does go with everything. I have the tendency to be distracted by pretty prints/colours etc and never have the proper basics other than jackets/blazers. But yeah it's amazing what good basics can do for a wardrobe!

• Reply Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} April 26, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Lovely dress! Liking the red collar! Your rampage for basics reminds me of the fact that whenever I'm looking for a certain item, I seem to see it on literally everyone! I've been wanting a jean jacket and I swear everyone at college has been wearing one lately! I need to go try some on!
    ~Sara

• Reply Shannon Hearts April 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Love the dress! The ribbon detail around the collar is really pretty.

• Reply Gabrielle April 26, 2013 at 8:46 pm

cutteeeee dress! And those legs!

• Reply Natalie April 26, 2013 at 10:29 pm

I love the neckline, it adds such a nice touch!

• Reply RoselyC April 26, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Perfect weekend dress, stylish but casual and comfortable.

• Reply Małgorzata Kamila Mansini April 27, 2013 at 12:45 am

wow ☺

• Reply Carmen April 27, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Lovely dress and your bag is just too cute 🙂

• Reply lisawoodenshoes April 27, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Love everything about the outfit! Would be good to wear for a music festival too.

• Reply Kacie Ellis April 27, 2013 at 10:36 pm

I love the touch of pattern on the dress!

• Reply The Key To Chic April 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I can relate to your obsessions! The dress also caught my eye at H&M. The neckline trim is darling!

• Reply Bree TheUrbanUmbrella April 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Wow you look so stunning! Love that dress, and LOVE your hair – it looks like hair-commerical-worthy hair =)

• Reply Annick April 29, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I totally know what you mean about obsessing over something you think you're missing in your wardrobe! I'm on a full-on rampage to find a) colorful pumps, and b) cute jewelry after realizing everything I own is either silver, or really dainty and small. And ugh, it's hard on the bank account those rampages!

You picked out a great basic though – that dress is gorgeous! 🙂

• Reply Petunia Mae May 16, 2013 at 10:10 pm

I feel the same way about black shoes!!! I just can't get into them at all!

Love the dress!