Red Tide

February 26, 2013

Dress c/o Boutique Onze, necklace c/o Keltie Leanne, tights c/o Pink Beryl,
Sam Edelman wedges, Marc by Marc Jacobs bag

Those first couple of weeks of any big change, whether it’s a new job, new city, etc, are always bound to be overwhelming. The life and rhythm that you were used to before faces this big (though often positive) disruption and you really need to just strap on a helmet, prepare for some stress/anxiety and go on the ride. There’s no way around it really…you can be as organized as possible (and believe me, I have lists and down-to-the-minute day planners on me at all times), but really it’s just a question of letting your mind and body adjust and waiting it out until they catch up.

So anyway, if that paragraph didn’t get the point across clearly enough, I’m playing a bit of catch-up this week. If I am a bit lacking in terms of commenting back or if you follow me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook and I seem a bit quiet on those fronts, it’s only temporary…I’ll be back up and running in a week or two, promise.

In the meantime, red is always a good option…it makes me feel strong, calm and powerful. It’s the colour equivalent to that whole duck analogy…cool and collected above the surface while scrambling underwater. This Boutique Onze dress is the perfect shade of red, not to mention it’s a fabulous femme cut that I’m excited to show off more and more as the temperatures continue to warm up.

Do you have any go-to colours, pieces or other styling tricks that you go to when you need a little extra boost of confidence/calm?

PS I wasn’t prancing around in this little dress but actually freezing (a tactic so many of us bloggers often employ)…it was actually that warm. If you do follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that it was hot enough to tan, in fact (even if it was in a questionable, three-beers-deep-styled outfit). So handy having my cabin situated dead-centre in this little cove that blocks out the wind…it means I get to bronze on in the middle of February!

• Reply Kimberly February 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Not only is the shape of this dress so flattering on you, but the color is amazing! You should seriously consider only wearing red from now on 🙂

• Reply Alissa February 26, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Red is such a strong color, it looks so amazing on you! Plus it fits you like a glove! Have a happy Tuesday!

• Reply Amy February 26, 2013 at 2:12 pm

You look strong in the red! I agree, the cut is great! You can pull of any color, it makes me quite envious!
    🙂

Coffee Beans and Bobby Pins

• Reply Heather February 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Red is totally your color. It really goes with your skin tone and makes your eye pop even more. Also love the shade of your lipstick. Beautiful as always!

heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

• Reply lesliescloset.ca February 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

This colour is amazing on you. And the shape of the dress is adorable. The light in these photographs is also beautiful.

• Reply Mounette February 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Very beautiful dress, the red color is very nice on you!
    Kiss
    Aurélie

• Reply Petra February 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Wow you looking absolutely gorgeous in this amazing dress. I love the color red on you.
    xo, Petra

• Reply Rachel Lynne February 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Love this red dress! Such a bright, gorgeous shade on you!

Rachel’s Lookbook

• Reply Melanie Liliana February 26, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Red is definitely your colour! Wow it looks amazing on you! I laughed when you said you were freezing.. we bloggers go through a lot eh? haha pretending its super warm and happy when you're dying to put your coat back on! haha

iambornlippy.blogspot.ca

• Reply Sue @ A Colourful Canvas February 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Good on you for recognizing the psychology of colour. We're all agreed that red looks fabulous on you, and the lines on this dress are oh so flattering; but what a perfect choice as you step into a new job. And, congratulations on the new job!

I also linked through, and {GAK} you are toned! And soon to be tanned! 🙂

Sue xo

• Reply Beauty Follower February 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Lovely dress, such a beautiful necklace.
    Thanks for passing by dear!

• Reply JennaStevie February 26, 2013 at 5:17 pm

You look absolutely gorgeous in this shade of red, loving the fit of this dress too! I agree red always makes me feel great. These photos are really stunning and makes me jealous you get to be so close to the ocean, sounds like the perfect weekend relaxing 🙂

• Reply Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} February 26, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Red looks amazing on you! I know what you mean about it feeling like a power color. When I'm in a funk, I pull out my red clothes too. Hope the new job is going well!
    ~Sara

• Reply Sunny & Star February 26, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I love the red dress. Red is such a bold beautiful color. I am so jealous of the cabin in cove!

Jessica @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

• Reply Lisa February 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Congrats on the new job! Cute dress too.

Hmm I don't have any styling tricks per se. A stylish pair of glasses goes a long way for me though: on days when I'm feeling low-key or my eyes are too dry from staring at a computer to tolerate contacts, they're a lifesaver.

• Reply Dina Karivalis February 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Love the shape and color of the dress. Great look on you!
    xo Dina
    Sweetest Somethings

• Reply Ashley @TheCreamToMyCoffee February 26, 2013 at 8:53 pm

This dress is so stunning! I love the shape and color – it is so flattering on you! I only own one red item of clothing (I bought a bright red shirt this summer), but it definitely does make me feel powerful! I think I should probably wear more red in the future 🙂

• Reply Well... February 26, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Omgsh, you are such a babe!
    Love the red color on you and the flattering fit of the dress. 😀

Trendy Teal

• Reply Kacie February 26, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I love your side braid! Every time I try to do the side braid, it annoys me too much and I take it out. lol

• Reply Marie-Eve February 26, 2013 at 11:59 pm

That dress is perfect for you ! Love the side braid, can't wait until my hair is long enough !
    My Blog – A Pretty Nest

• Reply Naomi February 27, 2013 at 12:06 am

Red is your color~

The Occasional Indulgence

• Reply Christina Chan February 27, 2013 at 12:37 am

You look so adorable in this dress! Glad to find another fellow Vancouver fashion blogger xx

• Reply Naghmeh February 27, 2013 at 1:06 am

That is such a sweet outfit! love the red on you 🙂
    xo

• Reply vintagelillies February 27, 2013 at 6:30 am

Those pictures are absolutely stunning! That red dress is so pretty and you look gorgeous! You look really great in red!

• Reply Christy February 27, 2013 at 6:39 am

Wow! You look fabulous! You always look good in bright colors, but I think red suits you really well.
    By the way, you really remind me of Jessica Biel… has anyone ever told you that? 🙂

Christy
    Sunnywithasideof…

• Reply MizzJ February 27, 2013 at 7:38 am

You look amazing in this dress! Everyone may fish about Rhett perfect LBD, but a great red number will blow all those out of the water!

• Reply dreamingincashmere February 27, 2013 at 7:54 am

Red is your color!! It suits your skin tone so well!
    xoAmy

• Reply Erin February 28, 2013 at 3:07 am

I love that bright red dress on you! So chic!

-Erin-
    OneTwoSummer

• Reply Jenna DeSantis February 28, 2013 at 4:07 am

Alexandra you look stunning in red!! SO pretty, love the lip color too. Just lovely 🙂

XO Jenna
    Demureindiamonds.com

• Reply namesjaney February 28, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Oh the dress fits you like a glove and I love your plait! I cannot wait for my hair to grow longer!

Janey

• Reply Petite Adventures March 5, 2013 at 11:35 am

Great dress – love that colour on you!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca