Brand New Love Affair

January 29, 2013

Blazer c/o Shoppalu, Club Monaco sweater & gloves, jeans c/o James Jeans, Michael Kors heels,
vintage bag, Persol sunnies c/o SmartBuyGlasses, bag c/o Mary Nichols, necklace c/o lia sophia

This outfit is literally grey on grey on grey on grey on grey (and if you’re including the wall) on grey. The fact that this look could not be more about “tonal shades” is what makes the combination of textures and details work though. Without the monochromatic colour palette, the combo of moto-stitched denim, tweed, knit, suede, leather and cashmere might be too much. That, and I’m taking another page out of yesterday’s book: dress like the weather. Yesterday was all about “wet” colours, today is all about the constant grey skies we’ve been experiencing. I’m turning my weather lemons into sartorial lemonade.

Anyway, I’m having a bit of a love affair with these jeans. I’ve mentioned before that I have a bit of an obsessive personality, one that often manifests itself in the repetitive wearing of one item. Lately, it’s been these structured yet incredibly comfortable Moto in Black Enzyme by James Jeans that have been on heavy rotation. I’ve been very dedicated to my Twiggy’s in the past, but these Moto’s may take up temporary residency as new faves in my heart, and I may or may not have worn them three times already since I got them last Thursday. Shhh! I love the fact that the detailing gives a bit of edge without distracting from the impeccable tailoring James Jeans is famous for.

I think it’s kind of hilarious that right around this time last year, I was spouting off on the blog about how I’m such a dress/skirt-girl and that I couldn’t find a pair of pants that fit me properly to save my life.  Fast forward to a year later and if anything, pants are my definite go-to’s, which is odd considering the fact that my weight/body type certainly hasn’t changed at all. I used to think being an hourglass precluded me from wearing the skinnies I loved so much on other people, but I’ve had a string of good luck this fall/winter in finding pants that finally fit me well (James Jeans played a big part in that)…it’s funny how sometimes it all just comes down to finding the right fit/brand/styling trick to completely open a style door that had previously been closed for years!

Do you have any once-eschewed styles, trends or items that you have a completely new love for now?

• Reply Alissa January 29, 2013 at 1:54 pm

The details on those pants are absolutely super, duper awesome. (sorry, apparently I am feeling like I need to talk like a 5yr old today)

• Reply Ginny January 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Very cool jeans, I'm obsessed with my neon necklace, I can pretty much say it does with everything and wear it daily 🙂
    Ginny
    mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

• Reply Asher January 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm

THOSE JEANS!!!!! I absolutely love them! So cute!

• Reply Kimberly January 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Your hair looks fabulous – did you get it cut? Also love this jacket and the detail on those jeans is so cute! 🙂

• Reply Heather January 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

This is such a great grunge/rocker/chic look. Seriously though you are like the layered queen. I love the short jacket with the gloves and sweater. Also those jeans…amazing!

heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

• Reply Annette January 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Love your jeans, being of a similar shape myself I always thought I couldn't wear skinny jeans. You're so right once you find the right brand you can look great in them too. I am addicted to mine. So comfy and can be dressed up or down. You're looking great.

• Reply Cee January 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm

So sorry to have missed you at the blogger meet-up this weekend, pally – hope you're feeling much better! I'm loving this grungy-chic look. I can honestly say I never thought I'd see the day you wore moto jeans but they look fabulous on you! Of course I'm slightly biased, you know how I feel about all things gray 😉

• Reply Naomi January 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm

So you're telling me to not give up on skinnies? Mmm okkk… 🙂

The Occasional Indulgence

• Reply Tyne Swedish January 29, 2013 at 3:30 pm

You are such a hottie doll! Jeeze!!! Anyway I am loving all the grey I see people rocking right now. I also am loving how you played with the different textures! Adorable! And all that grey on grey on grey on grey (was that all your greys?) would totally work in Indy right now. So foggy and grey out. So I love it. I just need to get to campus then this feeling of perfection within me would be complete!

Chao
    Poppie

• Reply Carmen January 29, 2013 at 3:48 pm

wow, that´s some great layering!

• Reply Mounette January 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I love the coat and the jean, how many clothes do you have?!! I dream to have your dressing!
    Kiss
    Aurélie
    FB : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Les-Petites-Bulles-de-ma-Vie/239500666128176?ref=hl

• Reply Nia Langley January 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm

The haircut looks great! I love those jeans, and your blazer is nice!

Much love.

nialangleyspeaks.blogspot.com

• Reply Bree TheUrbanUmbrella January 29, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Great outfit! LOVE those pants and your blazer, totally fab! Also your hair looks beautiful, so healthy!

• Reply Amy January 29, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Love the jeans and the bag and it all actually. Fabulous, love findinga great pair of jeans that fit!

• Reply two birds January 29, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Those jeans are awesome! They fit you perfectly. I love this outfit. The grey on grey (on grey on grey) really works. And all the textures are so great!

• Reply Kati January 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet comment!
    Love your bag a lot!

Have a lovely day,
    -Kati

• Reply Kati January 29, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet comment!
    Love your bag a lot!

Have a lovely day,
    -Kati

• Reply Melanie Liliana January 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I can tell why you love those jeans! they fit you like a glove :).. I just got a amazing citizens pair and I can't stop wearing them! xo

iambornlippy.blogpspot.ca

• Reply sugarhoneybaby January 29, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Nice look,love your blazer;)

• Reply readmedear.com January 29, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Absolutely love this outfit. I admit I'm not much of a colour wearer. I have long blonde hair that can stick out like a sore thumb sometimes, so I tend not to go for a lot of colour. The jeans are incredibly flattering and I love that they have some texture to them. Makes a monochromatic look much more visually interesting!

xo A

• Reply Heidi January 29, 2013 at 6:04 pm

These are great photos, I love the backdrop. -Heidi

• Reply Emily Marie {Isnt That Charming} January 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I love your writing style! And love your style just in general. Following on GFC now – thanks for swinging by my blog!
    Isn’t That Charming.

• Reply Adventures in Fashion January 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Those jeans are incredible, the fit and finish are both amazing! You look lovely, as always 🙂

• Reply Leah January 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Loving this grey outfit. The edits on these photos are really nice! Really shows off the details.

• Reply Gabi K. January 29, 2013 at 7:36 pm

You look so feminine and charming!

You are very welcome to enter my MAC giveaway!

• Reply Malu January 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I just found you and I think you're one of the best bloggers I've never visited!!!

congratulations!!

malu from Spain

• Reply hannah January 29, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I love this outfit – the textures look great on you x

• Reply JennaStevie January 29, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I am loving the grey on grey on grey, it is anything but boring. Those jeans are fantastic and so great with the blazer. Your hair is amazing at this length btw.
    I am not a huge fan of pants in general too, I should try to get my hands on a pair of those and they might change my mind too!

• Reply Just Another Shopaholic January 29, 2013 at 8:13 pm

You're so darling, those jeans and that blazer are just amazing.

• Reply LoveCaroline January 29, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Your hair looks amazing, and I really love your purse and pants!

xo
    Caroline

• Reply The Avenue Vee January 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I just discovered your blog and I absolutely love your style! You have layered the sweater and blazer perfectly.

I would love for you to stop by my blog and check out my latest outfit post. http://www.theavenuevee.com

Vee

• Reply dreamingincashmere January 29, 2013 at 9:59 pm

This is such a cool look!! I'm loving all of the grey tones!
    xoAmy

• Reply Ruby And Siel January 29, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I love the layering on your sleeves! And I totally understand your love affair, it is indeed a great jeans

• Reply Jen @ redsolesandredwine January 29, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Love the whole look, layered and chic. And your makeup – love. I didn't wear pants or find any that fit me that well either until the past year or so! So I understand – still love wearing dresses but the cold makes it hard 🙂

Red Soles and Red Wine

• Reply Kacie January 29, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Those jeans are awesome! I love them!

• Reply Lynn {hearted girl} January 30, 2013 at 1:30 am

Alex, i am BLOWN AWAY with the new look and feel of your space! it's an epic transformation and is ultra sleek lades. i adore it from top to tip, which is pretty much how i roll whenever looking at anything you do, wear or say!!!! omg, in awe + major love 🙂 bravo!

it's really rad how blogging can help a transformation like this, not only does your style aesthetic become refined but so does your whole "packaging/branding" and this is a way to go moment…can't stop gushing over it all!

i'm trying real hard to exercise some restraint with commenting on every single one of your latest fashion posts but it's haaaaard. you look so damn good in everything plus the sunnies add an air of mystery. it reminds me of Christine from Fash n Chips a bit. you look beautiful as can be!!

your moto enhanced denim is crafted so well when paired with the textured tweed + soft knits. i can see why you've found it hard to lay them aside for too long at a time. i sure hope you didn't end up getting the flu bug though, thanks for the note. we sure did miss you at the get-together but i hope to see you soon!!! xo ♥

• Reply Petite Adventures January 30, 2013 at 2:29 am

Great look – very downtown cool!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• Reply Marisa January 30, 2013 at 3:13 am

Those jeans are fabulous! Totally my style and I love the way you played with textures in this outfit to make the greys look interesting.

Marisa

• Reply Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} January 30, 2013 at 3:34 am

You always look so cool!! Love the jeans!
    ~Sara

• Reply Maya January 30, 2013 at 4:29 am

Hello from a Toronto based new fashion blogger! Handshake, nice to meet you 🙂
    You are so hot in these jeans and I love the red lipstick!
    Come by if you get a chance.

• Reply CoastWithMe January 30, 2013 at 6:45 am

Hi gorgeous! Thank you so much for visiting and following my blog:)! I'm following you now on facebook and bloglovin too:)!

• Reply Sofia Donatelli January 30, 2013 at 8:52 am

Love your blog. It is filled with great fashion ideas. You look beautiful in your pictures. The red lipsticks look beautiful on you.

If you get a sec, check out my latest post 'Grecian Maxi Dress'.

Be featured on Stylishly In Love: If you would like a chance to be featured on my fashion blog, then email me (stylishlyinlove@gmail.com) a picture of your go-to outfit for Valentine's Day. In honor of Valentine's day I will be featuring 14 bloggers. Make sure to email me by February 11th.
    Thank you.

Sofia

stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

• Reply Marie-Eve January 30, 2013 at 12:01 pm

You have the best layering skills ever ! You always look cozy but not frumpy ! You look great !
    My Blog – A Pretty Nest

• Reply The Fierce Berry January 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm

loveee ur pants!!! <3

• Reply ckstayingwarm January 30, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I have a hard time finding pants that fit me too! I have found that spending the extra money, taking the time to shop quality pieces, and a good tailer have made a difference. I'll have to try out James jeans though! This pair is AMAZING! Love the grey-on-grey-on-grey-on-grey.

xxoo
    CK

• Reply Erin January 30, 2013 at 4:29 pm

1) Your haircut is just stunning! And I love how you layered the different grey pieces and textures. That jacket is amazing, and I am a huge fan of James Jeans!! They fit like a dream.

-Erin-
    OneTwoSummer

• Reply Marie L. January 31, 2013 at 12:19 am

1) I know how hard it is sometimes to find the right fit with jeans! I found out after trying on tons of pairs that (most of the time) Guess jeans works for me.

2) I like your outfit and I agree with you about the monochromatic palette. It would have been too much with all the details and the texture.

Lovely post as always,
    xo, Marie

a merry diary

• Reply Faith January 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm

in love with this outfit!

• Reply Girl and Closet January 31, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Your hair's looking beautiful Alex!! And I'm with you, I too, for the longest time thought I couldn't wear skinnies. But it's all about finding the right ones and now I adore them. And this outfit is SO incredible! Smooches! V

• Reply Candida Maceo February 1, 2013 at 4:09 am

You are like the queen of layering (bow down). I love every element of this outfit. Those jeans are dope! And of course I'm all over the grey on grey action. Lovely!

xo
    Candida

• Reply JennyScribbles February 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

love those jeans! they fit your perfectly! those grey shoes are cute too!

xo
    jen

• Reply Sandy Joe February 2, 2013 at 5:03 pm

The detailing on the denim and your blazer is AMAZING. I'm really digging all the…. shades of grey! Pun intended.

x The Pretty Secrets