Roots

September 10, 2012
Photography by Stephen Lee
 While I was still in Toronto I had the amazing opportunity to work with Roots, one of Canada’s most enduring and treasured brands, and Glam Media on a street-style campaign. Alongside my fellow campaign faces (Aya McMillan, the editor of Glam Media, and Marta Tryshak of the wonderful blog With Love, Gabrielle) and our photographer, the very talented Stephen Lee of Silhouetted Skyline, we headed just north of the city centre to Roots’ factory to get acquainted with the fourth but most important campaign star (the bags, duh).
I’d always coveted the functional and aesthetic aspects of Roots’ pieces, but witnessing bags, boots and more being made right in front of me and getting a chance to see and feel the quality of their materials (their leather is incredible, straight from an incredible tannery in Italy) made me grow a new appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into making each piece. When it finally came time to pick our favourites, my heart went straight to this oxblood suitcase-style bag; after seeing the creation process first-hand, I knew that this sturdy, timeless piece would be a forever kind of companion. And I’m not a crazy trend watcher but if there’s one trend I’m on board with for this fall, it’s this beautiful oxblood tone!
Anyway, back to present time here in Vancouver, the final little fling I was having with the sun has finally come to a tragic but ineveitable end. It’s currently pouring rain outside and I’m finally getting to all the “inside” activities I haven’t done since forever (namely laundry). This weekend was amazing though, nice and low key. What did you get up to? Happy Monday friends 🙂

• Reply Eliza Jane September 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

In my mind you have the closet from the Sex and the City movies! Do you? How do you store all your beautiful clothes and jewelry? And your bags?? I'm in need of inspiration and hints/tips!

• Reply lilieslattesandlace.com September 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm

That bag is a gorgeous colour!
    Love the booties too 🙂
    xo K

• Reply Cee September 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

What a gorgeous shot, pally – can't wait to see the rest of the campaign! And I have to say, you made the perfect choice, bag-wise, at least as far as I'm concerned. That ox-blood shade is to die for and I love the menswear-esque shape. Such a beautiful classic!

• Reply JennaStevie September 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Wow I am in love with this bag, the perfect colour, size and style. Such a beautiful piece that you will get tons of use out of!! And your dress is really cute, hopefully your weather gets better!

• Reply Courtney Erin September 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

That bag really is stunning – and the deep oxblood colour is one of my favorites. What a fun collaboration opportunity!

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

• Reply Adly Velasco September 10, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Beautiful shirtdress! It looks like a fresh take on the utilitarian trend. 🙂

adlyvelasco.blogspot.com

• Reply Gabriele September 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Love the outfit, especially the khaki colour dress, and the bag! 🙂
    Xoxo

• Reply Heidi September 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Gorgeous bag! I love the color. -Heidi http://fabricandfrosting.blogspot.no/

• Reply alison*elle September 10, 2012 at 5:10 pm

This sounds like a really cool collaboration, Alex! I'm back in Vancouver briefly this week and I was so looking forward to final summer beach days after seeing you post about them… SOB!!

xo, alison*elle

• Reply TheUrbanUmbrella September 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Back to sunny today, looks like the sun is trying to stay a bit longer =D
    You look lovely, adore the bag!

xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella

• Reply t September 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Nice bag! The colour is perfect for this fall!

• Reply Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird September 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Oooh love that bag!

• Reply Mehak September 10, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I am really loving the bag and the shirtdress looks amazing on you!!

Love
    Mehak

• Reply Lisa September 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Gorgeous bag!

• Reply Meg September 10, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Oh my gosh, I love this! And your blog. It's so fun and fresh! I will definitely be following 🙂

• Reply jules September 11, 2012 at 12:35 am

i think you made a wise choice!

xo julesinflats.com

• Reply Pins, Needles & Fashion September 11, 2012 at 12:41 am

I love that dress and that bag is amazing! love the style and color. You look stunning.

• Reply Ramona September 11, 2012 at 12:47 am

Happy Monday Alexandra!So gorgeous shot!You look fabulous! Bag is great timeless piece!can't wait to see rest of campaign photos.

xoxo Ra

• Reply Courtney Starr September 11, 2012 at 1:19 am

So pretty as usual! I love your bag!!!

xo, Courtney
    girlavantgarde.com

• Reply Melissa September 11, 2012 at 1:25 am

Such a great look. Love this dress and of course your amazing bag.

I hope you're finally getting back to the swing of things in Vancouver xo

Melissa

• Reply A Fine Balance September 11, 2012 at 1:11 pm

you're absolutely right the burgundy/ox blood is definitely a must have colour for the season and what an amazing opportunity you had to work with Roots!

Also I do have a favour to ask a fellow fashion blogger can you vote for me to be the Ottawa, Canada Fashion blogger for one of our malls here?

Thank you!

• Reply Benlovesting September 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Lovely blog! x

• Reply Marie a la Mode September 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

That bag! It's gorgeous! And oxblood is perfect for fall : ) I hope you're having a good week so far! xo

• Reply Lynn {hearted girl} September 12, 2012 at 6:39 pm

gaaaa, i remember my 1st Roots purchase and of course it was a beautiful, rugged leather bag. the thing lasted me for like 10 years or something. what a quality brand!! love yours Alex, the clasp is awesome and don't their bags just feel luscious to the touch!

i was happily surprised to come back from holidays and see the sunshine. it's supposed to reach some nice, warm temps this weekend….we got a reprieve! yah, enjoy lovely. xo ♥