Bicycle Race

August 8, 2012

Dress c/o Foster Bay, H&M bag, earrings and flats, vintage belt, Trek bike
For this week’s FASHION Magazine Style Panel challenge, we got one that was pretty much right up my alley: how to still look chic and stylish while commuting by either biking or walking. I bike to work on trusty Mojito (my mint green Trek hybrid cruiser) every single day and it’s also my main way of getting around the city. Given that I also work in a fashion environment, I’ve really had to learn how to still look work-appropriate and stylish while also being able to bike comfortably (and safely, of course).
My absolute favourite silhouette for biking is definitely a circle or A-line cut. Roomy, breezy and cute, plus you can easily wear a little pair of spandex shorts underneath in case a rogue gust of wind blows your skirt up. If you live somewhere that’s reasonably safe to bike around in, then I’d definitely say go for a pair of heels or wedges, but since Toronto is legitimately a terrifying place for a biker, I stick to flats and an out-of-way crossbody bag. I also like to bike way too fast and weave in and out of traffic, yelling at drivers and aggressively hand-signalling as I go, so I wear a helmet even for short trips.
This dress I’m wearing here is not only perfect for biking but I’m soooo in love with the colour for everyday. It’s from this great Singapore brand Foster Bay – absolutely loving all their things!
Okaaay I’m off to work now (on my bike, obviously)! Happy hump day everyone!

• Reply marien riquelme August 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm

beautiful the dress color, highlights much your skin.

(I'm using google translator Upsss!)
    Greetings from Spain 🙂
    MARIEN

• Reply Heather August 8, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I really want a bike but I'm so scared of biking in NYC lol I love all your color including the bike.

• Reply Kate August 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

You pretty much have my dream bike! I have been on the verge of buying something VERY similar all summer (a step-thru hybrid bike in a pretty color with a brown leather seat… you seriously nailed my dream bike!) I am also loving your earrings! So, so cute!

• Reply Katie- Hems for Her August 8, 2012 at 2:12 pm

It's so awesome that you bike to work! And that you look so damn stylish doing it 😉

• Reply Stesha August 8, 2012 at 2:31 pm

your neon accessories look perfect with this dress and the lighting!

xxS

• Reply JennaStevie August 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

This is an awesome bike riding look! That colour is great on you and your neon purse is so great. I totally agree that aline skirts and dresses are the best for biking, it's nice to be able to "tuck" things under too haha. I have a cruiser and have been taking it on fun little adventures all summer, it can be tough to be stylish and appropriate while biking

• Reply claude August 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Love the pics!
    I wish Brussels were a little more bike friendly, so I could use my bike more often
    it's a pretty good way to keep fit

xx claude

• Reply Courtney Erin August 8, 2012 at 3:57 pm

What a great fashion challenge – and you look great, that dress is such a cute piece for biking it!

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

• Reply Cee August 8, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I always love your posts featuring Mojito 🙂 I'm far too terrified of the traffic in Vancouver to even attempt to get on a bike, but I do admire your determination (and aggressive hand signalling!) I also love that you somewhat coordinated your outfit with mojito! All of the tropical blue-greens suit you beautifully. Miss you pally!

• Reply StyleIDnet August 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Beautiful dress, specially the color. Pictures are so nice.

* STYLE ID NET *
    * Filomenas Closet *

• Reply alison*elle August 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Sighhh, I just LOVE your bike Alex. I want one just like it! So cute how you basically match it too 😉

xo, alison*elle

• Reply Erin August 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm

The color and shape are stunning on you! I'm too afraid to bike in Boston but it's good to know it's possibly to do so and look good at the same time 🙂

-Erin-

• Reply wesothrifty August 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I love your lime accessories! Such a great little surprise of colour.

• Reply Tiffany Auerbach August 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

those earrings are so amazing! i can't believe they are from H&M – awesome find!
    tiffany

• Reply Beauty Follower August 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Lovely color!

• Reply Kacie August 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I love that you named your bike! My hubby named his The General but I have yet to give mine a name. You look great!

• Reply Just Another Shopaholic August 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm

These pictures are too cute! And that dress is so lovely on you!!

• Reply Neris / Fashion Fractions August 8, 2012 at 10:03 pm

such a cute look! love the sandals 🙂

xoxo,
    Fashion Fractions

• Reply Rachel August 9, 2012 at 2:28 am

Love this shade of blue on you!

xo Rachel

• Reply Ramona August 9, 2012 at 2:30 am

Alexandra, I so envy you on your wonderful bicycle.I have in Latvia bicycle, but since I moved to Ireland, I couldn't bring it with me.Here in Ireland roads are very serpentine, so it's too dangerous ride a bicycle. You look so super cute in your dress on the bicycle.Pop of neon colours are fabulous.

xoxo Ra

• Reply Simone - Your Style Architect August 9, 2012 at 3:40 am

The dress certainly looks great on you! Can't wait to see you in our other outfits! The team at Foster Bay loves the styling!!

• Reply Jen August 9, 2012 at 5:02 am

I love the pastel colour blocking and the matching with your bike Alex… it looks very retro and pretty! You are so brave to ride your bike everywhere… I would be absolutely terrified but I bet it is amazing and a great start to your morning!

Hope you're having a great (not too stressful) week lovely!
    xo
    Jen

• Reply Leonie August 9, 2012 at 5:40 am

Ooh I love your bike and that perfect just matches perfectly! I used to bike every day (Dutch stereotype?), but not anymore obviously. Vancouver's too scary! Plus, I wouldn't want to wear a helmet.

But you definitely show off how to ride a bike in style. The colors are beautiful!

xo Leonie

• Reply pinkandplum August 9, 2012 at 6:54 am

These are seriously the cutest photos ever! I haven't rode a bike in years and I'm sure I wouldn't look quit as fashionable as you 🙂 xxPam

• Reply Marisa August 9, 2012 at 6:55 am

Wow, that is so wonderful that you bike to work! And even more amazing that you look this good doing it! I never would have thought that a dress would be the ideal attire for bike riding but you make it look so cute.

Marisa

• Reply Heidi August 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

That dress is so cute. I love the cut and the belt you added to it. Very stylish for a bike. -Heidi http://www.fabricandfrosting.blogspot.com

• Reply Venüsün Dünyası August 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Owww very good ;))

• Reply sweet harvest moon August 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Such fun pictures and outfit! Love it!