Eternal Sunshine

June 22, 2012

Dress c/o StylePiques!, Club Monaco clutch, Wilfred belt, F21 clutch
Um…what the hell. How is it Friday already?! Seriously, it actually kind of terrifies/boggles my mind how quickly time has flown since I’ve been here in Toronto. I guess part of it is that we’re having fun and exploring a new city, but the other side of it is that I’ve just been so damn busy. I’ve never really maintained my blog over a traditional 9-to-5’er and I tell you, I have a newfound respect for all my blog friends who book in long hours and then manage to post five times a week. It’s insane. I still need to figure out how to get to everything (commenting, design and layout tweaks, etc.) but I’m learning.
So I’ve been reading The Happiness Project and am really loving it. As a psych grad, some of my favourite things to do are a. read studies about human behaviour (seriously) and b. analyze why it is that I’m sooooo complex and messed up (again…seriously, this is a hobby of mine, but I’m not as serious about being messed up…I’m just endearlingly strange). The book is chockfull of general psych talk so that pleases me to no end, but in a similar strain to Eat, Pray, Love there’s a lot of self-exploration and realizations that the author Gretchen Rubin makes about her own life and pursuit of happiness.
One thing she wrote about that has really stuck with me since reading it was the notion that your happiness is a responsibility – in other words, you should feel responsible to be happy not just for yourself, but for the sake of others. I thought that was such a nice way of approaching it, and something a die-hard cynic like myself could benefit from. My best friend is always so happy and encouraging about any of the small successes that come my way, and her happiness is usually greeted by my blasé “Yeah, well we’ll see how it goes.” I like the idea (and I’m sure she will too) that when someone is happy for you you should share in their happiness – it will make them feel better and in turn make you feel better too. Don’t you think that’s a refreshing way of approaching your general attitude?
Anyway, just thought I’d share an uncharacteristically cheesy tidbit with you as you head off this Friday! Hope you have an amazing weekend, I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be drinking in a new dinosaur exhibit tonight so that should be interesting (more on that Monday).
Happy Friday!

• Reply Tinacious Me June 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm

lovely dress Alexandra!
    ~ http://www.Tinacious.Me ~

• Reply Yuliya ♥ June 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Your look is PERFECT ♥
    Bisous
    Yu'

• Reply Neris / Fashion Fractions June 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm

love it! the dress looks amazing on you!

xoxo,

Fashion Fractions

• Reply Haley Holder June 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Love this dress and the color.

Have a great weekend!

x

• Reply Heather June 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I always call blogging my second job. It takes awhile to learn when to post, what to post, and how to squeeze in a post lol.

I looove your hair. And the first picture is really beautiful. Also loving the color of your dress. Perfect tone for you skin.

• Reply Batter June 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I read that book last year, it's a good read.

• Reply Petra June 22, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Amazing dress. Love the lace details and that gorgeous leo clutch.
    xo, Petra

• Reply octoberchic.com June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I love your outfit! So gorgeous.

octoberchic.com

• Reply Mademoiselle Meese June 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I love that leopard clutch! It's fierce!

Donyel

with love from Mademoiselle Meese

• Reply Marie L. June 22, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Great outfit! Plus this book seems interesting! I might taka a look at it! .
    xo

Marie L.

• Reply sweet harvest moon June 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Beautiful outfit!

• Reply Courtney Erin June 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I really like that idea – I should make more of an effort to be a part of other people's happiness for me, it's goes against my usual behaviour but it makes sense to partake in it more. Unrelatedly, I LOVE your dress – it looks amazing in these sun-drenched photos.

Courtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com

• Reply Nia Langley June 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Nice dress! Sounds like you're having a great time in Toronto.

The Happiness Project sounds like a great book! I agree with what Gretchen Rubin is saying about happiness. I'm actually gonna have a post that's similar to that theme.

I, too, analyze myself to figure out why I'm so complex and bizarre lol. When I took my first Psych class, I was hooked. It's so interesting.

Have a great weekend!

xoxo

nialangleyspeaks.blogspot.com

• Reply Mrs C ♥ June 22, 2012 at 3:52 pm

You have the prettiest dresses! You look fab! Happy weekend!

• Reply Célèste Brott of Fashion is Evolution June 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I read that book last year and it really inspired me. In fact, I've become more serious about my blog since then primarily because I realized that blogging (and fashion in general) makes me happy, and therefor should be a priority.

• Reply Lauren Jamison June 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Your hair, please tell me how you achieved that perfectly messy ethereal look!

Just found your blog through Running On Happiness. You are just so beautiful and I love love love your style!

• Reply Stesha June 22, 2012 at 5:39 pm

ohhh I am loving that dress! it looks great with the sunlight!

• Reply girlavantgarde June 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Oooh love your style. And your blog – I just discovered it. Can't wait to follow along daily!

xo,
    Courtney

• Reply alison*elle June 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Agree, it is SO hard to blog regularly and maintain a full-time job… I don't know how people do it! You look simply stunning here, Alex! Toronto sunlight makes for killer photos.

xo, alison*elle

• Reply Robynadine... June 22, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I LOVE those shoes!

Robynadine
    wwww.styleonabudgetca.blogspot.com

• Reply Treasure Tromp June 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I should really read that book. I did my MA in positie organizational psychology so I bet that I'd love it 🙂

• Reply Judy June 22, 2012 at 8:08 pm

That's a really interest concept about happiness. Sounds like a great book!

Lovely shots of you. & Those shoes are great! Where are they from?

Have a great weekend! 😀

Judy
    SecondGlimpses.blogspot.com

• Reply JennaStevie June 22, 2012 at 8:37 pm

This dress is sooo gorgeous, I love it!! The colour is perfect on you, I love the lace top and how flowy the bottom is. I love reading about human behaviour as well, its so fascinating to try to understand how people tick! Sounds like a really good book, Im a cynic too, so id probably benefit from this book

• Reply Marisa June 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm

The title of your post is so true, it seems as though you've been eternally graced with sunshine in TO. I have to say that your hair is particularly amazing here, while the lace and leopard prints you're wearing add such great texture. And happiness really is a responsibility. I think it's all in our power to control our emotions and if we really want to be happy, we have to make it happen. Yay for sharing in happiness and for the weekend!

Marisa

• Reply Kacie June 22, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I love the color of the dress with the black accessories!

• Reply Cee June 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Could you send some of that eternal sunshine our way, pally? It's so wet here. I'm loving your summer dress, the camel colour is so lovely on you, especially in that late day sunlight. So wishing I could imitate these photos myself 🙂 Happy Friday!

• Reply Petite Adventures June 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I just bought the Happiness Project and can't wait to read it!
    I think you look absolutely stunning in these photos – the light is amazing and I love the dress! The whole look is so incredibly chic!

• Reply Well... June 23, 2012 at 1:41 am

Oh wow, so lovely! I adore this dress, the lace detailed top part is perfect.
    And girl, LOVE the leopard clutch you paired with it. Adds such a punch of fierceness 🙂

Enter to win a $40 gift voucher to Ministry of Retail!
    Trendy Teal

• Reply jules June 23, 2012 at 1:53 am

i am so jealous of all the sunshine you've been getting in TO! this outfit is beautiful!

xo julesinflats.blogspot.com

• Reply gillybeancandyjar June 23, 2012 at 5:44 am

I love how a lot of your photos always have you glittering under the sun 🙂

ahha I think it's a psych major thing. I have a thing for biographies with people who experienced/is experiencing a psych disorder. I'm reading Eat, Pray, Love now! I like that concept of sharing in their happiness 🙂

• Reply Stefani June 23, 2012 at 9:17 am

Love the whole look! That dress is gorgeous!

• Reply Asher June 23, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love that dress! It looks fabulous on you and I love that you paired it with black – normally I'm a "do not mix brown & black" girl, but wow! You made it look fantastic!

• Reply Sally June 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Hey there!! I am stopping by via Running on Happiness, so glad for the tip off – I LOVE your style and blog!! I am your newest follower!! Have a great weekend, Sally xoxo

• Reply SIENA.STYLE June 23, 2012 at 7:49 pm

amazing look!
    kisses from prague

• Reply Katie- Hems for Her June 23, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I don't think this was cheesy at all. In fact it reminded me that I have so much I take for granted, so many things that I should be happy about! Have a great weekend!

• Reply Ashley June 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Somehow I stumbled upon your blog. You are absolutely gorgeous! Loving all the chic looks you have put together!
    XOXO
    Ashley from isoldmycookiecutter.com

• Reply Wren KW June 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I just read The Happiness Project last week and I loved it. Happiness is not something I think about as having to work for and make possible. But as I was reading I became more conscience of things that I was doing in my routine that were bringing my happiness levels down. It was such a fascinating read and I would seriously consider starting my own happiness project.

Wren

• Reply Leonie June 25, 2012 at 2:58 am

Psychology and Consumer Behavior were always my favorite subjects in university, so perhaps I should read that book as well! Tried to read Eat, Pray, Love – but I only got until the end of chapter 1 (I did enjoy the movie though).

Allllright, let's talk fashion here. Is this a new dress? Honestly I can't remember whether I've seen it before and I am sure I would have remembered it because it's gorgeous! Great how you paired it up with some leopard and black.

xo Leonie

• Reply Rhea Bue | the secret life of a fashion & beauty blogger June 25, 2012 at 3:08 am

love the outfit dear!! You look gorgeous with that dress and the sunshine!! <3

I agree.. our happiness is our responsibility.. .:)I think that book is worth the read.. I wanna read that too.. 🙂

• Reply Kristin Clark June 25, 2012 at 3:54 am

Lovinggggg this dress…too cute! I love how the light is hitting the dress in these pics, simply stunning.

xo
    Kristin

• Reply Imani Love June 25, 2012 at 6:29 am

You are glowing! Absolutely stunning!
    -Imani Love

• Reply Sandra Leiva June 25, 2012 at 10:16 am

I love this outfit!
    That dress is so cute!

• Reply Naghmeh June 25, 2012 at 11:06 am

first of all you look stunning in this outfit! such a gorgeous dress too.
    and I love the idea of being happy because others are and sharing in their happiness!
    I think I'm going to read this book now sounds interesting 🙂

• Reply two birds June 25, 2012 at 11:29 am

i have never read that book, but it sounds very interesting. i am the optimistic person, like your friend, so i like the idea of sharing in happiness for everyone's sake! beautiful dress and pictures!

• Reply Mia M. June 25, 2012 at 11:47 am

you are so beautiful!

bisous,
    mia

HEYLILAHEY

• Reply Like, Whatever June 25, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Great dress! You got some legs lady

• Reply Jules M June 26, 2012 at 5:50 am

Great summer dress…have I mentioned how much I love your hair too?? Gorgeous! I couldn't agree more on what you wrote about happiness…I need to put that into practice. I tend to lean toward negativity so I won't be disappointed..but why not be happy?! It's the best for everyone 😉

• Reply thekellytang June 27, 2012 at 1:45 am

Love Love the dress!!! And I just bought the happiness project, and I feel you on the over analyzing yourself I do it all the time! haha! 🙂