Bang Bang

February 17, 2012

For some reason completely unbeknownst to me, I’ve gotten quite a few questions from readers lately asking how I do my hair, particularly my bangs. I actually find my hair endlessly frustrating, which is why I’m surprised that anyone would want hair styling tips from me! I can’t really style it (it hardly holds a curl), it breaks really easily, and it’s so fine that top-knots and thick braids are completely out of the question. It’s one saving grace is that thanks to its stubbornly straight and fine texture, I can usually just air-dry it, which is how I normally wear it on the blog.

Having said that, I usually have to wash my bangs every other day to keep them from going limp, and this is how I’d normally style them if I wanted them dry as I leave the house! Just wanted to note that this is for side-swept bangs – I’ve added little notes as to how to style your bangs if you wanted to wear them straight down à la Zooey Deschanel!

1. This one should be pretty obvious…comb your bangs! I just combed mine over to the side I want them to fall over to.

2. If your hair is thick, I’d suggest using a flat brush, but if you have fine hair like me then a round brush is the way to go! It will give your bangs a bit of body. Since I am wearing my bangs side-swept, I used the round brush and blowdryer to direct the bangs in that direction.

However, if you want to wear them straight down (which I often did before deciding to let them grow out), then push your bangs to both the left and the right. This will get rid of any kinks or cowlicks you might have!

3. Don’t foget your face-framing wisps! I like them slightly curled in so that they blend in with my bangs.

4. Since the rest of my hair was dry, I just twisted the rest of it with a Goody spin pin up into a ballerina bun. Sometimes if I wear it up like this for a really, really long time, my hair will hold a curl for awhile!

Just a quick aside: if you wash your hair daily, really try to see if you can cut back. Even though my hair is thin, once it adjusted to being washed less it became so much healthier and feels much less brittle. It was the smartest decision I ever made hair-wise! Bangs, on the other hand, need slightly more frequent washing, but I try to limit it to once every other day.

5. Shake out what would probably be curls for most of you, but slight waves for me.

6. And done!

The lovely people at Missiko sent me their HANAair Professional Hair Dryer, and honestly, as someone who never really believed that there was much of a difference between blowdryers, I was pretty blown away.
Though I was really impressed with how quickly it dried my hair (less than two minutes…crazy), it was when I used it on one of my girlfriends with insanely thick hair that I really realized how powerful the blowdryer is. Normally, her hair takes hours to dry. Using the HANAair dryer and the HANA Shine Shield Thermal Protectant though, I managed to dry it within 20 minutes and it ended up looking really shiny and felt amazing. I was preeeetty proud of myself (thought it probably had more to do with the infrared ion technology than my blowdrying skills). Definitely a worthwhile investment!
Also, if you’re curious about the pin I used in my hair, it’s the Goody Spin Pin. It’s amazing. Basically, you can just twirl your hair into a bun and then screw one or two of these in and then you’re set, they stay in all day and you don’t need elastics or anything. Sometimes when I’m getting ready for a night out, I’ll do Princess Leia buns on the top of my head with one pin per bun, set my dryer to low heat, and direct some heat to both buns for about five minutes or so. After letting them cool down for about an hour, my hair usually has a little bit of curliness to it!
All right, and with that I’m off to the cabin again! Matt and I just decided to celebrate our four year anniversary early since I’ll probably be knee-deep in school by the time the 24th comes around. So excited to get back to cabin life!
Hope you all have an amazing weekend!

http://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/Follow To Vogue or Busthttp://www.facebookloginhut.com/facebook-login/

• Reply alison*elle February 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm

My hair texture seems similar to yours (super fine, naturally straight as a pin) and I used to struggle with styling my bangs when I had them. The round brush/blowdryer trick was a necessity everyday. Cute tutorial, Alex! Have fun at the cabin with Matt 🙂

xo, alison*elle

• Reply Ly February 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I've always wanted to get bangs but seriously too chicken to. How do you ask for them to be cut? I really love how yours look.

Have a great weekend and happy anniversary.

• Reply Cloudline Chic Flows February 17, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Gorgeous lady beautiful hair!! 🙂

• Reply Casey February 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Oh this is awesome! And honestly, that spin pin is now on my list to get at the store, I'm so one to do the lil buns and can't stand pinning them up for a good ten minutes, or the look of the elastic..so YAY!! Thank you my dear!!

Have a great weekend, xoxo

• Reply diary of this girl - megan February 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm

this is awesome! thank you for sharing! i NEED that spin pin! i kind of want side bangs now, too…

• Reply Well... February 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm

You have such beautiful hair! Aha, mine is really thick, but don't be fooled. That just means its really bushy. I've given up trying to style it everyday.
    However, that blowdryer intrigues me…it sounds just like the one I need!
    Thanks for sharing this. 🙂

• Reply Erin at thesparkle.net February 18, 2012 at 12:59 am

YAY! your first hair tutorial you had mentioned. GREAT job – end result is gorgeous. i'm totally hopeless with hair, too. it's my weakness, so you're not alone.

have a lovely weekend! x

• Reply Wren February 18, 2012 at 1:36 am

My hair is ridiculously fine too and doesn't curl except when I use those nice ceramic curling irons that don't have a clamp.

• Reply Kaitlin Mattingly February 18, 2012 at 1:59 am

how pretty! i love this tutorial.
    you have such amazing hair too.

xo kaitlin
    kaitgirl

• Reply Cee February 18, 2012 at 2:03 am

I'm still on the hunt for spin pins from Goody, I've been looking for a set ever since you first posted about them, but still, no lucky. Sigh. They'd probably get tangled up in my obscenely thick and coarse hair, anyway, but a girl can dream 😀 Hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead, pally, and that school isn't driving you too crazy just yet! Happy early anniversary to you and Matt 🙂

• Reply Marisa February 18, 2012 at 2:29 am

I never would have guessed that you have fine hair, it always looks so full! Have a great weekend!

Marisa

• Reply The Midwest Muse February 18, 2012 at 3:14 am

This is a very nice posts! Your hair is so long and perfect, it looks like you spend a million hours on it!

• Reply Josie February 18, 2012 at 4:20 am

Thanks for this post Alexandra!
    It is actually pretty helpful and now I will look into that blowdryer and the spin pin!

I've had straight hair my whole life without bangs, I recently (a couple months ago) did have them cut to include bangs. Every time I cut my hair I am told I have an intense cowlick that will make it "near impossible" to have bangs so I forgo it. Then I saw New Girl and LOVED Zooey's hair style. I went straight to a new hairdresser and told her what I wanted (with a photo of course). She started with the same speech but I told her I didn't care, but please TRY! And now I think the cowlick is gone? I'm not sure, but I have straight bangs!

Thanks for these tips, I'll try them when I wanna do the side swept style 🙂

-Josie, 8bitgrayscale
    Please check out my giveaway here!

• Reply Am2Pm Chic February 18, 2012 at 8:41 am

I love your bangs. I think it really frames your face. I will try your method of side sweep bangs!

• Reply Sandra Leiva February 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

Beautiful hair! And you look so cute in the first picture <3

• Reply NaNa February 18, 2012 at 10:05 am

lovin the bangs and lip colour =) I'm still maintaining my bangs hehe thanks for sharing hun xoxo

• Reply Violetta February 18, 2012 at 12:44 pm

So lovely my dear! perfect and amazing post!!!!

• Reply sugarhoneybaby February 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Nice hair:)

• Reply DNA (designers+artists) February 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Great tips!

• Reply pink horrorshow February 18, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I got those Goody pins but still can not for the life of me figure out how to use them. UGH. It just doesn't want to stay in.

• Reply Sunny & Star February 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Your hair looks amazing. I love your bangs. I just purchased some of those Goody pins but I haven't tried wearing them yet.

• Reply Hope Adela Pasztor February 19, 2012 at 6:27 am

Love this idea! =)

• Reply Lone Wolf February 19, 2012 at 6:39 am

Your hair doesn't look fine at all. So gorgeous! You're a Lone Wolf like 🙂

• Reply Style Servings February 19, 2012 at 11:12 am

Great advice, I never know how to blow-dry my hair properly, so thanks for sharing!

• Reply Sick by Trend February 19, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Love it! nice one honey 🙂

• Reply Stevia February 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Oohh
    I do wadh myhsireveryday!will def try to cut itback:)
    Yiur hair looksamazing..hair-envy you..haha

• Reply Miss Kwong February 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm

your bangs are really soft and well-structured!
    thanks for the information!
    xo

Miss Kwong – Art and Fashion

• Reply Hannah February 20, 2012 at 12:30 am

Your hair is so gorgeous!

xo, H

• Reply lisa February 20, 2012 at 3:03 am

Spin pins are a lifesaver for stay-put buns and 'dos; I can't wait until my hair is long enough to use mine again!

• Reply Courtney February 20, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I feel like you really just need to try different things until you find a hair routine that works for you! Do you agree?

I just found your blog via skippy says and my god I am so happy I did. Your photography is breathtaking. I love it. The pictures in your beach side post were gorgeous, especially the ones of you out on the water. I live by a lot of water and have very fond memories of canoeing so they just hit a soft spot. I love your blog! I don't know where you live but I'm so jealous of the nice weather…

So happy to have found your blog!

Courtney
    I Can Be Many Things

• Reply Lotus Blossom Design February 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm

great post! you do have great bangs 🙂 xo

• Reply Gabrielle February 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

i have the same blowdryer, it works really well!
    you make me want to have bangs now

• Reply Anna (South Molton St Style) February 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Haha thank you, this post was an education – had no idea what a bang was! #ignoranceisBritishbliss xx

South Molton St Style

• Reply Kate February 21, 2012 at 1:15 am

Isn't this hairdryer awesome? I felt the same way, never really thought there would be much of a difference between hairdryers but I love this one!!

• Reply Katie February 21, 2012 at 1:55 am

You definitely have awesome bangs! Glad to have the tips since I just cut mine! I have the exact type of hair as your friend, it takes forever to dry. I am soooo jealous that your hair looks that good when it air-dries! I know the grass is always greener, since my will hold curl, but dang, that would be handy 🙂 Also great advice about cutting down on shampooing, so much better for your hair and so much more convenient for the lazy 🙂

Katie- Hems For Her

• Reply Leah February 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Beautiful. You pull off the bangs so well!

xo L.