(Half)Marathon (Wo)Man

June 27, 2011
Ran the Scotiabank Half Marathon today!  One of my best friends tore a ligament recently and let me know a few days ago that if I wanted to, I could fill in for her.  Being a racer under the guise of another is kind of my thing (I’ve done a half for my sister before too), so I jumped at the opportunity.  I obviously didn’t have time to train (and trust me, that lack of training is very acutely felt now), but what a great race!  The course is absolutely beautiful…for those of you familiar with Vancouver, it starts at UBC, winds along Spanish Banks, Jericho, and Kits, and finishes in Stanley Park.  You couldn’t ask for much more.  Such an amazing way to start my Sunday!

There to cheer me on were my wonderful boyfriend Matt and my amazing girlfriend Caitlin, the friend who tore her ligament.  It was definitely special to have them there at the end.  Though I couldn’t do Caitlin justice in terms of time (she is a freakishly good runner and usually comes in easily under 1:45), I feel like I did as well as I could and am just crossing my fingers in the hopes that my bad knee heals up soon.  I’ve always had problems with it (I blame it on all the soccer and field hockey I used to do), but it took quite a beating around the 15K mark and I’m in full-on limp mode now.  Advil, epsom salt baths, and icing on repeat from now on.

Hope you all had a wonderful Sunday too!  Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who commented on my last post for your amazingly supportive words and thoughts…things aren’t quite in the clear yet but I’m doing well, and feeling even better after reading your comments.  Thanks again 🙂

• Reply Cee June 27, 2011 at 3:57 am

I can't believe you just ran a half marathon without even training- and I like running. Just, not for more than fifteen kilometres at a time 🙂 Congratulations on making it through this colassal course with almost no preparation. So proud of you!

• Reply Jessica Gitler June 27, 2011 at 4:04 am

Well done on the half marathon, what a amazing accomplishment!! Congrats!

• Reply Lily June 27, 2011 at 4:49 am

Good on you for running the marathon for your friend! I love running. I haven't done a marathon in years, though. The fact that you didn't have the time to train but still did it is a huge accomplishment!

XOXO,
    Lily

P.S. You are a natural beauty!

• Reply Pralinka June 27, 2011 at 9:56 am

wow! I'm so proud of you, you're amazing!
    btw, your body looks so wonderful! good job!

PS. I'm your new follower and your big fan.
    I'd be very happy if you like to follow each other!

chocarome.blogspot.com

• Reply jamie-lee June 27, 2011 at 10:06 am

Woah girl good on you!! I never could do a half marathon (14km is as far as I've gotten). Hope your knee is better soon x

• Reply A Fine Balance June 27, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I cannot run for the life of me! Congrats on stepping in for your friend… 🙂 and it feels so good after doesn’t it (training/accomplishing something in general)?

you look amazing as well!

• Reply aliciafashionista June 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! And jeez girl, how do you look so good after running a half marathon?! lol Love seeing Matt out there to cheer you on, what an amazing accomplishment 🙂

• Reply Marcella June 28, 2011 at 5:54 am

You are amazing to step in for your friend at the last minute! Looking totally awesome while doing so too!

We have something similar here in NZ called Round the Bays which is a charity run along the waterfront, I might pluck up the courage to do it next year 🙂

• Reply Jen June 28, 2011 at 6:06 am

Yay, go Alex! You're superwoman. And you are so amazing for running an extra SIX km after your knee started acting up. Insane! And I agree with Alicia. How do you look so dang good after finishing it?! After I did my first one a few years ago I'm pretty sure I looked like death hahaha. You're so naturally gorgeous 🙂

xo
    Jen

• Reply Matina June 29, 2011 at 4:36 am

AMAAAAZZZZIIIIIIIING. i am really impressed.

• Reply Pari Coleini June 29, 2011 at 4:44 am

beautiful blog 🙂
    I'd be happy if you check out my blog and follow if you like. xx

soundofsweetlullabies.blogspot.com/

• Reply Lynn {hearted girl} July 8, 2011 at 1:33 am

Alex, i've been a way lax bloggy friend lately and missed this total. it's such a big deal for you and i feel the poo for not wishing and cheering you on for succeeding this way! swell job on filling in, you sure have a great gait : )

you & Matt are just adorable, i'm so proud of you doll!!!!!!!!!!!! ♥