Italy Travel

3-Week Carry On Packing List For Italy

November 15, 2016

To Vogue or Bust shares a printable carry on packing list for Italy, answering the question what to pack for a trip to Italy Doing 3-week carry-on packing lists has become something of a tradition for me, partially due to some practical reasons (I’m usually gone for around 3 weeks, you guys have messaged saying they help a lot, and it actually helps me think through what I’m packing before I even take off!) but more than anything, I honestly just can’t stand not travelling carry-on only no matter how long I’m gone for. Committing to travelling with a carry-on might sound crazy (and it obviously isn’t a fashion week strategy, maybe the only time I’d break from my solely carrying my handy little Herschel). I feel like it’s just one less thing to worry about, it makes travelling so much easier and quite frankly, I’ve liked my outfits so much more since making the full switch to carry-on only a few years ago!

To Vogue or Bust shares a printable carry on packing list for Italy, answering the question what to pack for a trip to ItalyThe trick is to make a base of neutrals, pick your tonal colours (this trip had dusty pastels offset by some jewel tones) and keep in mind what fabrics will do best. For example, this might be surprising but I actually love most silk blends, since they roll easily and take up no room (rolling also keeps wrinkles at bay – more on my packing tips here!). I am also a perennial cashmere loyalist – more on my packing strategy with cashmere with White & Warren later this week! But other than that, I always just pick out the jewelry I’m planning on rocking for most of the trip (with maybe an earring set or ring or two to switch in and out to mix it up) and keep the beauty simple (the biggest tip I can give in this area is to go for cream or powder bases so that you don’t max out your liquids quota and to pack a couple lippies that you can layer up easily [I usually go for a rose and classic red] so that you can mix up different colours with lip balm). I pack a little toiletry kit but remember, shampoo, conditioner, etc can all be bought when you land! Cheaper to get those things wherever you are than to either have to pay any fees at the airport.

To Vogue or Bust shares a printable carry on packing list for Italy, answering the question what to pack for a trip to Italy Now as I mentioned in my Italy | What You Need to Know and my 3-Week Italy Itinerary posts, Italy is such a diverse country and you’re not only going to be needing some variety for the climate itself, but each area has its own feel that you’ll want to dress for. Again, basics, basics, basics with some strategic pops of colour or accent pieces (see yesterday’s anchor piece post).

So without further ado, my full packing list below…I have everything linked below the image but make sure you pin or save this graphic for your next Italy trip!

SHOP THE LIST

1) Black skinny scarf 2) Silk square scarf  3) Black cross-body bag 4) Leather moto jacket 5) Leather leggings 6) Black camisole 7) Chelsea boots 8) Silk tank in a jewel tone 9) White T-shirt 10) Distressed skinny jeans 11) Nude ballet flats 12) Black ballet flats 13) Converse sneakers 14) Cashmere travel wrap 15) Cashmere turtleneck 16) Cashmere coatigan 17) Delicate silk dress 18) Wool fedora 19) Neutral midi skirt 20) Simple off-the-shoulder dress 21) Metallic mesh watch 22) Slip dress in print or colour

Happy planning guys!

Top photo by Alicia Fashionista

• Reply Jessica November 15, 2016 at 7:22 pm

It’s amazing you made so many outfits with just a carry-on! The makeup tip is a good one; I have only ever used liquid foundation and really want to simplify my makeup routine for travel, but haven’t found any products that do the trick!

Can’t wait for your other Italy posts! xo

• Reply Alex Grant November 15, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Aw thanks lady! I’m doing a travel beauty post soon too to break down some of my faves – makes it so much easier to limit liquids, especially cause I’m a contacts wearer and that takes up all my quota usually! xo

• Reply Jessica November 16, 2016 at 7:01 am

That would be SO helpful!! Seriously, you’re my go-to for travel tips and tricks!

Thankful there are fashionistas like you who take the time to care and share 😉

• Reply Alex Grant November 16, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Aw that means so much!!! Thanks so much love xo

• Reply Jackie November 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm

WOW – you are clearly a seasoned pro by being able to pull off Italy in a carry-on. I can’t even go to New York for a long weekend without packing a full-sized suitcase. (Doesn’t that just make you cringe?)

Weird question though…do you wash your clothes/underwear at some point? What about when you go hiking/get sweaty? LOL

Jackie
    Something About That

• Reply Alex Grant November 15, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Hey babe! Haha such a legit question – so what I typically do is just ensure that I have access to laundry about halfway through the trip and wash my basics, underwear, socks, PJ’s, etc so that I really just need to pack enough for 10 days ever at a time! Most hotels have laundry services but if I’m doing Airbnb, I just check and make sure about just over a week in the location has a washing machine! Two other options is to pack some travel packs of detergent (can get them from drugstores) to wash in the sink OR if you’re really in a bind, washing clothes with shampoo works just about as well as laundry detergent! Very last option is just to pick up the essentials if needed – always an H&M, Penny’s, etc to get underwear or whatever from and even then it’s a cheaper option then paying luggage fees with most airlines nowadays!

• Reply C Berkley November 21, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I like this list, it’s great and I am going to use it for my upcoming trip!

• Reply Rachael January 7, 2017 at 9:56 am

Hi, I’m heading to Italy for a month and will hopefully be able to pack carry on as well. I was wondering when exactly you were in italy, I’m trying to get a handle on the weather. And did you pack any wet weather gear. That’s my greatest fear not packing the right clothes, like packing comfy flats and converse only to get stuck in the rain without proper boots and a rain jacket.

• Reply Alexandra Grant April 3, 2017 at 10:44 pm

No wet weather gear but packing a mini umbrella is never a bad call, and I like my ECCO shoes (you can see it under my travel section!) because they’re waterproof but super cute, go with everything! 🙂