The Maple Leaf Forever

February 11, 2013

Bag c/o Roots, Old Navy flares, blazer c/o Club Monaco, Aritzia shirt,
red earrings + bracelet c/o Keltie Leanne, heels c/o Joe Fresh

I unearthed this Canadiana top recently and it brought back so many amazing memories. I wore the shirt obsessively during the 2010 Winter Olympics here in Vancouver and to say that period of my life was incredible would be the understatement of the century. During the Games, all we did was party amongst ourselves and our international visitors, go watch the incredible events (watching Canada win men’s hockey was maybe one of the most amazing moments ever) and indulge in some over-the-top Canadian national pride (which is saying a lot for us, given that we’re usually a bit more discrete in the way we put our nationalism on display).
Anyway, it made me think: if the Union Jack and Stars & Stripes are so iconic and proudly worn by Brits or Americans, why shouldn’t us Canadians wear the maple leaf more often? Our country is pretty ridiculously incredible and we’re just too self-deprecating to put our pride out there as much as our “Motherland” or neighbour’s citizens do. So it might go against our tendency to be more modest, but  I think instead of simply stitching our flag on to our backpacks while traveling, we should start putting our flag on display on the regular too. Plus, red is my colour, so I have all the more reason to splash the flag across my clothes.
And just an FYI, aside from my maple leaf top from Aritzia (a Vancouver-born retailer), I’m also wearing Roots, Club Monaco and Joe Fresh…all Canadian-born retailers!
Happy Monday everyone, and happy Family Day (yes, it’s a thing) to my fellow British Columbians! Speaking of Canada, how absolutely Canadian is it to have a “family day”? Love it.

• Reply Diana Teodoro February 11, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Love the green, love the bag, love everything! ๐Ÿ™‚

Diana from

• Reply Kimberly February 11, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Such a cute outfit – I really love the idea of pairing a graphic tee under a blazer…it's a great mix of casual & structured pieces together ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Alissa February 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm

That is such a cute Canada shirt! I love that you layered it with the blazer!

• Reply Shubana Koss February 11, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I'd definitely wear the maple leaf proudly ๐Ÿ™‚ Love the look!
    Love, Shushu

• Reply Faith February 11, 2013 at 2:30 pm

those jeans are perfection on you! LOVE!

• Reply Nia Langley February 11, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Nice blazer! I like Club Monaco stuff.

Work that maple leaf! I think Canada is AWESOME! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply A Fine Balance February 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

i agree with you on rocking the maple leaf! you look great ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Naomi February 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Love your bag!

The Occasional Indulgence

• Reply Sara Strauss {Sincerely, Sara} February 11, 2013 at 4:19 pm

So cute! Love the hunter green jacket paired with your t-shirt! You should definitely be proud and rock your maple leaf!! Canada is an awesome country!!

• Reply RoselyC February 11, 2013 at 4:36 pm

You look great. I want to rock the Maple leaf and I'm not even a resident yet, I'm not even in Canada!

• Reply Dina Karivalis February 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Such a cute outfit, love the story behind the top and the blazer!
    xo Dina
    Sweetest Somethings

• Reply Heidi February 11, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I love this, I a really getting into t shirts and dressing them up a bit. Wear your Maple Leaf proud! -Heidi

• Reply JennaStevie February 11, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I love that you're wearing all canadian brands!! I wish I could have went to Vancouver for the Olympics, but the flight prices skyrocketed around that time ๐Ÿ™
    This is such a great look, Canada proud and that green blazer is SO perfect

• Reply Pins, Needles & Fashion February 11, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I love this look! That blazer is perfection, and I love that bag. You look stunning as usual.

• Reply Well... February 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I need some crazy bootcut jeans now…haha, these look amazing on you and I love the hunter green jacket!

Enter to win a $40 voucher to Indressme!
    Trendy Teal

• Reply janeysoutfits February 11, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I love the ease with which you put this outfit together! I have all the elements and never thought of doing so my self! The Canadian t-shirts I picked up whilst travelling Canada which although have taken a back seat in my closet now seem full of life after seeing you wear yours and so patriotically too! I am all pro-Canada it is one of my favorite travel destinations.

• Reply Amy February 11, 2013 at 6:10 pm

love the tee! i love how graphic tees are making their rounds again, i think they canbe great in certain instances and this one fits the bill!

• Reply Sweet Harmonie February 11, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Lovely shirt.. and i like colour your lips!! kisses

• Reply Mehak February 11, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Loving the whole emsemble!!!! The pairing of a graphic tee with a blazer really stands out!!

• Reply Julye February 11, 2013 at 10:26 pm

love your pretty bag!!

• Reply alison*elle February 11, 2013 at 11:01 pm

The Olympics 2010 were seriously some of the funnest times I've had in the city. I love reminiscing about it so thanks for the reminder, Alex ๐Ÿ˜‰ We should wear maple leaf items more often!

xo, alison*elle

• Reply pretty little things February 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm

such a cute look! xo

• Reply Sue February 12, 2013 at 3:43 am

As a promoter of local retailers I love that you are wearing all Canadian fashion! You look terrific!
    Sue Dickie

• Reply Erin February 12, 2013 at 4:26 am

That green blazer is so chic, and I love it with your patriotic t.

• Reply Mounette February 12, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Like this look and your top!

• Reply Wren KW February 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm

i love this so much and I totally agree with you. Canada is the best.

• Reply Olithรฉe February 13, 2013 at 9:53 am

stunning lovin ur hairstyle & make up

• Reply Megan Maddison February 13, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Great look…especially love the maple leaf tee! As a fellow Vancouverite, I've been wondering the same thing…why is everyone sporting the U.S. Flag or Union Jack and no one ever seems to wear our flag proudly? So, I say, good for you! And hope you had a great family day too – I spent it exactly that way with my hubby.

Your newest follower….

• Reply Petite Adventures February 14, 2013 at 12:05 pm

What a fabulously chic, casual outfit! I'm loving the green blazer on you – it's a nice alternative to the usual suspects (black, grey, navy).

Kate xo

• Reply Bea Alarcรณn February 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Hi!It's been a long time! love that outfit! It's simply sofisticated and I think you've done a great job with your hair and makeup ๐Ÿ™‚