Ride Away

May 2, 2011

One thing that a lot of people don’t know about me is that I actually didn’t learn how to ride a bike until the summer before my third year of university. I suffered from a crippling phobia of bike-riding when I was younger that was brought about by my first experience ever riding one – my dad had just let go of the seat and I was hesitantly but excitedly wobbling down the walkway of Spanish Banks when an elderly Spanish woman stepped out in front of my bike and bam…I knocked her right over. After being screamed at in Spanish and crying about my own boo-boos from my fall, I was pretty dead set on never getting onto one of those death contraptions ever again.  No matter how many times my parents got me a shiny, new bike, I was insistent that I would never ride one.

Finally, the summer of second year I decided it was finally time to face my fears.  My dear friend Nashlyn took me down to an elementary school and ran behind me holding my seat as I wobbled about, all while being made fun of by some very mean and dumb-looking 11 year olds might I add, when finally it all came together and there I was, riding around on my own.  My parents were overjoyed about it to say the least and since my birthday was right around the corner, they gave me Mojito, my mint green cruiser and the first bike I actually rode.  Since that summer, I have had a love affair with biking and the minute the weather clears up, Mojito is my trusty companion.

I love when there are street style shots of chic women biking around.  They really are great accessories, not to mention good for the environment and your legs.  A good reminder that you can be enviromentally friendly, get some exercise, and look stylish all at the same time.

Images courtesy of The Sartorialist, Garance DorΓ©, Mr. Newton

• Reply Sandy Joe May 2, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Bicycles are truly one of the best accessories! That is, when weather permits the use of them! Great post.

x

The Pretty Secrets

• Reply Marie a la Mode May 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I'm really glad you got over your fear. And shame on that Spanish lady for yelling at you when you were a tiny kid!

• Reply Cee May 2, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Okay, I can't lie, your first experience on a bike does sound pretty traumatic. I mean, what kind of old lady yells at a kid their first time on a bike? Even if there was a collision?! Good for you for facing your fears in the end, though πŸ™‚ I haven't had a bike for years now, but every time I see streetstyle photos of chic girls and their bikes, it makes me wonder why that is… Apart from the fact that drivers are insane and I would fear for my life riding anywhere but on the sidewalk!

• Reply Jenny May 3, 2011 at 12:23 am

I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was a teenager! I'm glad to hear that i am not the only one who learned later in life. I recently have started testing the biking waters again and, though riding on the street with cars freaks the crap out of me, I'm also starting to enjoy the freedom and fun that can be had with my bike. which, by the way, is also green!

• Reply Fifth Sparrow May 3, 2011 at 2:44 am

I LOVE that your bike's name is Mojito! So darn cute. And I probably wouldn't have learned how to ride a bike for a long time after that incident either… being yelled at in a foreign language is terrifying!

Thanks so much for being so sweet with the blogger meet-up, I'd love to meet you fabulous ladies! Give me a shout about the next time! xx

• Reply Lynn {hearted girl} May 3, 2011 at 3:18 am

ohhhh, i love the bike theme today! i have been giving Tresienne the eye lately (she's my cruiser bike) and hasn't been out for quite some time. we need to show her the seawall very soon and set her in motion once again!

and girly, talk about crippling fear, i know it well. i had a rather bad relationship (a married one at that! arg!) before and we'll call him the bad man, anyways he and i went riding one day way long ago. he made me go down a big hill, i fell hard and he laughed and laughed. didn't get on a bike again till Sean (my amazing love) came along and showed me how fun it can be. thank goodness for the good guys hey?!

i'm thinking you, me, Mojito & Tresienne plus some other bloggy bikers should make a day of it for one of our get-togethers and shoot some shots. could be a blast! ride on pretty lady! xo β™₯

• Reply Cicy May 3, 2011 at 4:33 am

hahaha, can I admit that it took me until the summer before my third year of university too? But when I got on I realized it was way easier than I thought it would be… even though I didn't learn to brake when turning downhill and totally ran into a bush. I owned that bush though =)

• Reply The Fashionilla May 3, 2011 at 6:10 am

Hey Alexandra!

You should come on this charity bike cruise around Stanley Park on May 14th. It's a fancy dressing, music playing kinda ride!

All the best!

• Reply ELLESAPPELLE May 3, 2011 at 7:30 am

THE PERFECT SS ACCESSORY!!

• Reply Plami May 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Bikes look great but I am still so afraid…. and I am in my third year of University… πŸ˜€

Xoxo
    Plami

• Reply aliciafashionista May 3, 2011 at 8:03 pm

LOL poor woman you knocked over and poor YOU for being so traumatized! If Vancouver drivers werent so terrifying maybe I'd ride a bike around, but to be honest bike lanes or not, I don't feel safe walking around vancouver let alone riding a bicycle. Also, I've come to the conclusion that activities where I'm supported by wheels aren't my favourite (i.e. skateboards, roller blades, bicycles). I do love photos of girls looking stylish with a bike though, it's such a cute accessory!

• Reply Fashion Cappuccino May 3, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Alexandra! I'm so sorry to hear about your childhood trauma with the bike! It's so sweet of your friend to teach you and take care of you though! I admire you for being brave and facing your fears! Now you can enjoy the reward and start biking whenever you want! Girls with bikes are so cute and I always think they look so carefree and romantic!

I have a phobia with stairs. Whenever I'm walking up the stairs, I always feel like I'm going to fall down any minute! I don't know how to cure it but one day, I'm going to get rid ot it! Hope you're having a wonderful week! Take care and talk soon! xoxoxoo

• Reply Matina May 4, 2011 at 3:57 am

i want to see mojito!! i am way too scared to ride a bike in van, only on the seawall for me

• Reply Huda May 4, 2011 at 5:30 am

reading this story was like a window into my own childhood phobia over biking, except the part where I overcame my fear. I have yet to learn how to bike and this is coming from a girl who plans to buy her own Harley in the near future.

• Reply AMINTA May 4, 2011 at 11:43 am

Im terrible riding a bike!! They all look so pretty and healthy hehehe…

Following πŸ˜€ found you at the facebook group.
    Kisses,

• Reply Jony May 4, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Bicycles are definitely a great accessory, love these pics. Thanks for sharing dear.