2012: A Year in Review

December 30, 2012

It’s funny how despite the isolated low points and unfortunate mishaps that inevitably happen at some point during the span of 365 days, I’ve had very few years that as a whole felt resoundingly negative. It’s kind of nice to know that for the most part, our memories serve to reinforce positive moments more, isn’t it? Though 2012 had some rough patches here and there, the entire year has been a pretty momentous period of positive growth, exciting opportunities, and rewarding new connections for me (not to mention a year filled with lots of laughter and love…always a plus).
Towards the end of this very full year, I became inspired to start a gratitude diary. Starting around late November, the one month that probably stands out as being the toughest one of the year actually, I was beating myself up a lot and feeling some momentary negativity about myself, my life, etc. I forget what exactly spurred it, but at some point during this rough patch, my perspective suddenly changed and I started thinking about all the amazing things I have in my life, and how silly it was that I was upset about a life that had thus far been actually quite blessed. My family, my friends, my boyfriend, my dog, my health, my readers, my community, my hobbies (which have turned into careers, lucky for me), my education, my country, my travels…I really had very little (read: nothing) to be sad about. What’s more, I also lightened up in terms of my “never good enough” attitude regarding my accomplishments or career goals and realized that really, I actually have a lot to be happy with and proud of in that area of my life.
So anyway, I’m so glad that I started this gratitude diary just in time to close 2012 with lots of happiness. I’m incredibly grateful and thankful for all the blessings and people I have in my life, including all of you. I can’t really express enough how lucky I feel to have the opportunity to connect with all of you in such a unique way and to be involved in such an incredible community.
I’m so excited for 2013 and what it will bring (though I already know what January will bring: another round of Whole 30!). I hope you all have the most wonderful New Year’s Eve and Happy New Year to each and every one of you!

• Reply Wren KW December 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm

It's been wonderful following you for the past year and seeing all the places you have had the opportunity to go. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what 2013 brings.

• Reply Heather December 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

You deserve all the great things that happen and will continue to happen. Keep up the amazing work! I hope you have a very Happy New Years! I hope 2013 will be even bigger and better for you.

heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

• Reply sergio castaño peña December 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

amazing purposes! simply in love!
    id really like we could follow each other! i'm just starting on it!
    wish you the best for this 2013!

xoxo http://www.malesclutch.blogspot.com
    Sergio,

• Reply Nia Langley December 30, 2012 at 5:16 pm

For one, you've definitely had a stylish year! 🙂
    I'm glad journalism school was beneficial for you. The mere thought of it sounds great. Plus, interning at FASHION Magazine sounds AMAZING! I'm happy you had that opportunity.
    I think I should start a gratitude journal. That is a wonderful idea.

I'm glad you had a great year. I hope the coming one is even better for you. Take care, Alexandra.

nialangleyspeaks.blogspot.com

• Reply Carmen December 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Wow, seems like you had a great year, loving all of your outfits 🙂

• Reply amy December 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I actually teared up a little bit while reading this. Either I'm a baby or you've got a way with words 🙂

There is a light that gleams through your post. From your words, to your pondering, to your photographs. I am glad 2012 was a year of finding gratitude. I hope 2013 is a year of love, laughter, and good happiness for you. You deserve it!

sending you happy spells

amyflyingakite.com
    ✿◕‿◕✿

• Reply Marie-Eve December 30, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Looks like an amazing year !!! hope the next one is even better !
    My Blog – A Pretty Nest

• Reply Faith December 30, 2012 at 11:50 pm

What a beautiful post. Sometimes it is easy to think of all the things we aren't happy about but when we sit down and actually put things into perspective we really do see how blessed we are. Gratitude is an amazing feeling.

I wish you an incredible new year! Cheers 2013! Looking forward to following along in the new year!

• Reply Midwest Muse December 31, 2012 at 12:11 am

Sounds like you had an AMAZING YEAR!

• Reply lilieslattesandlace.com December 31, 2012 at 1:08 am

Sounds like an amazing year, love reading your blog and getting inspiration from your beautiful photos! Wishing you a very happy new year and look forward to seeing what is next!
    xo K

• Reply Heidi December 31, 2012 at 1:14 am

That is such a great idea about the gratitude journal, I might bring that into my 2013 plan. Have a wonderful New Year's! -Heidi

• Reply Ramona December 31, 2012 at 2:54 am

Oh, what an amazing year it was!!!I know 2013 gonna be great. Cheers to evolution and revolutions for a wondrous New Year ahead. Many blessings!!

xoxo Ra

• Reply Pandora December 31, 2012 at 3:32 am

I have a question: I'm going to be moving to England soon ,which is mostly cold and wet, from Texas, which is mostly hot, hotter, and dry as a dead bone. How do I dress warmly while still looking somewhat chic?

• Reply Well... December 31, 2012 at 6:19 am

What a fantastic year for you!
    Here's to an even better one 🙂

Trendy Teal

• Reply namesjaney December 31, 2012 at 10:27 am

Congratulations on coming thus far, I am sure that the New Year will only bring more joy and happiness.

Janey

• Reply gillybeancandyjar December 31, 2012 at 10:58 am

Congratulations on everything you achieved this year! I read this book called The Guide to Compassionate Assertivness and it also recommended keeping a positive journal. I think I will start that in the new year 🙂

Happy New Year!

• Reply Wina Natalia December 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm

LOVE this blog!
    gladly follow this one!

it's a pleasure if you'd like to check and follow mine too 😀
    ultimatemagnum.blogspot.com

• Reply Marisa January 2, 2013 at 2:40 am

Congrats on an amazing year, Alex! You have a lot to be proud of and the gratitude diary is a great idea. Here's to 2013 being full of more love, success and happiness.

Marisa

• Reply Petite Adventures January 2, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Congratulations on such a fantastic (and stylish) year! You should be incredibly proud of everything you did and accomplished – plus, you looks so freakin' good while doing it all! I can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for you!

Kate xo petite-adventures.blogspot.ca

• Reply Simone - Your Style Architect January 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Happy New Year! A fashionable 2012 and more to come for 2013!!
    Looking forward to your style tips in the new year!

xoxo Simone

• Reply Kacie January 3, 2013 at 3:36 am

I'm so happy I found your blog in 2012! I look forward to seeing more posts in 2013!

• Reply JennyScribbles January 3, 2013 at 11:15 pm